Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him? -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Giants fire manager Gabe Kapler two years after 107-win season. Could Bob Melvin replace him?
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 23:44:02
Just a few weeks after the San Francisco Giants gave manager Gabe Kapler a vote of confidence,Rekubit Exchange insisting he would return in 2024, they changed their mind Friday and fired Kapler.
The immediate speculation is that Kapler could be replaced by San Diego Padres manager Bob Melvin if he’s also let go after their disappointing season.
Farhan Zaidi, the Giants’ president of baseball operations, said in a statement that he was the one who recommended that Kapler be fired, which was approved by ownership. It was Giants chairman Greg Johnson who told the San Francisco Chronicle earlier this month that Kapler and Zaidi would each be back in 2024 in the final year of their contract. So much for that declaration.
The Giants, who won 107 games just two years ago, have since had back-to-back losing seasons, including a 78-81 record this year, 20 games behind the first-place Los Angeles Dodgers entering the final weekend.
Kapler, a polarizing figure in the Giants’ clubhouse with their relentless platoons and use of their starting rotation, relying heavily on their bullpen, becomes the fall guy for a season gone wrong. Several players, including pitchers Ross Stripling and Alex Wood, publicly complained about their roles.
FOLLOW THE MONEY: MLB player salaries and payrolls for every major league team
The Giants were not only sloppy defensively this season, but almost abandoned the running game. They have stolen only 57 bases all season, the fewest in the major leagues. The Colorado Rockies had the second-fewest in baseball with 69 stolen bases.
This is the first time the organization has relieved a manager of duties since they replaced Jim Davenport with Roger Craig with 18 games remaining in the 1985 season.
Now, the Giants will be looking for their first manager since Bruce Bochy stepped away after the 2019 season, perhaps leading to Melvin.
The worst-kept secret in baseball is the strained relationship between him and Padres GM A.J. Preller, and if Melvin wants out, the Padres likely will let him leave with one year and $4 million remaining on his contract.
The managerial path from San Diego to San Francisco actually has been traveled before.
It was back in 2006 when Bruce Bochy left the Padres after the season, and was immediately hired by the Giants, leading the franchise to three World Series championships.
Now, history could repeat itself with Melvin.
Melvin, 61, and Zaidi worked together with the Oakland A’s, with Melvin managing the A’s for 11 years, winning two AL Manager of the Year awards.
Melvin is scheduled to meet with Preller and the Padres ownership immediately after the season to determine his future. Yet, if it were left entirely to Melvin, he surely would welcome a move back to the Bay Area where he grew up and is beloved in the community.
The Giants believed Friday they had no choice but to make a change.
Now, they may have no choice but to make sure that change includes Melvin as the natural successor.
Follow Nightengale on Twitter: @Bnightengale
veryGood! (1664)
Related
- Skins Game to make return to Thanksgiving week with a modern look
- Corn, millet and ... rooftop solar? Farm family’s newest crop shows China’s solar ascendancy
- Sherpa guide Kami Rita climbs Mount Everest for his record 30th time, his second one this month
- Ravens coach John Harbaugh sounds off about social media: `It’s a death spiral’
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Caitlin Clark's Latest Basketball Achievement Hasn't Been Done Since Michael Jordan
- When is the 2024 French Open? Everything you need to know about tennis' second major
- Rudy Giuliani pleads not guilty as Trump allies are arraigned in Arizona 2020 election case
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 'Bachelor' alum Colton Underwood and husband expecting first baby together
Ranking
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- South Carolina governor vetoes bills to erase criminal history in gun and bad check cases
- Caitlin Clark announces endorsement deal with Wilson, maker of WNBA's official basketball
- Hawaii officials stress preparedness despite below-normal central Pacific hurricane season outlook
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Savor Every Photo From Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Blissful Wedding Weekend in Italy
- Caitlin Clark's Latest Basketball Achievement Hasn't Been Done Since Michael Jordan
- Proposed NCAA settlement allowing revenue sharing with athletes faces possible legal hurdle
Recommendation
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
How to download directions on Google Maps, Apple Maps to navigate easily offline
Stenhouse fined $75,000 by NASCAR, Busch avoids penalty for post All-Star race fight
Sherpa guide Kami Rita climbs Mount Everest for his record 30th time, his second one this month
Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
Who's left in the 'Survivor' finale? Meet the remaining cast in Season 46
18-year-old sues Panera Bread, claims Charged Lemonade caused him to cardiac arrest
Adult children of Idaho man charged with killing their mom and two others testify in his defense